Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pancakes

 

One day. . . I’ll have a weekly meal plan.

One day. . .  I’ll have dinners in the crock-pot by noon.

One day. . .  I’ll pull meat from the freezer every Monday so it’s thawed and ready to go for dinner preparations every day of the week.

One day. . . my kids will cook me dinner. :0 (And I’m not talkin’  pureed in a blender and spoon fed either!)

Until then. . . dinner is often a question mark till 4:00 in the afternoon.

Tonight the consensus was banana pancakes! pancakes

I have stopped purchasing the “just add water” mix since my husband needs to watch his salt intake and I’d rather eat a bit healthier and easily blend up the batter from scratch.  I’ve tried a few recipes but the one I made tonight is now our favorite.  It comes from one of my most loved  cookbooks, Crème de Colorado, which was a gift several years ago.  You can check it out on Amazon HERE.

cookbook

 

Here’s the recipe:

Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 egg

1 C buttermilk

(I purchase the dry buttermilk you add water to so I always have it on hand.)

2 T oil

3/4 C Whole Wheat Flour

(I’ve also used buckwheat which is tasty)

1 T brown sugar

1 t baking powder

1/2 t baking soda

1/2 t salt

In large bowl, beat egg; add buttermilk, oil, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Beat until smooth.  (I put all the ingredients in a blender)

Pour batter onto lightly greased pan or griddle. 

I added 1 ripened banana. Blueberries are also tasty.

Serve with warm pure maple syrup.

This makes 10 4-inch pancakes.

(I quadrupled for my hungry family!)

Try it. . . I think you’ll like it!

Happy Wednesday!

Heather 

(Above pancake photo courtesy of  Flickr Creative Commons)

1 comment:

  1. I have the same exact problems Heather - I always wait until afternoon to plan dinner and then it's usually not all that great. *Someday* I'll join you with all of those grand plans. :)

    ReplyDelete