Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Doughnuts!

Taking my lead from Laura over at Heavenly Homemakers we have been reading the delightful adventures of Homer Price by Robert McCloskey. The author also published one of my favorite childhood books, Make Way For Ducklings.

ducklings

homer

This morning we read the famous chapter entitled “The Doughnuts” and since. . . we’re adding some fun to this spring break week amongst doing some school, and since. . .all the kids waited so patiently in the Dr.’s office while I found out little Miss A has an ear infection, and since. . . mommy just so happens to L.O.V.E. doughnuts. . . I decided to try Laura’s whole wheat doughnut recipe. You can head over to her website which is full of wonderful healthy recipes and many how-to inspirations. Here is her recipe for:

Whole Wheat Cake Donuts

3 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
½ t. cinnamon
¼ t. salt
¼ t. nutmeg
2/3 cup rapadura (dehydrated cane sugar juice)
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
Oil for frying (palm kernel oil or coconut oil)(I used Smart Balance Omega)

Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir in eggs, vanilla, milk and melted butter. Knead dough a few minutes to make sure all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
On a floured surface, roll dough to ½ inch thickness. Cut with donut cutter, or biscuit cutter. (I didn’t have a donut cutter so we made donut holes.) Heat oil in skillet or electric skillet…enough to cover the bottom of the skillet about ¼ inch. Place donuts into the hot oil to fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle a mixture of rapadura and cinnamon, or sprinkle organic powdered sugar over the hot donuts.

donutholes

We thought they were delicious. More filling than bakery donuts. I liked the crunch on the outside.

Thanks for the inspiration, Laura.

Happy Tuesday!

Heather

2 comments:

  1. I love both those books. My boys have "make way for ducklings" on tape and we read through "homer price" this year for "school".

    I also love donuts and so will not be making these for fear that they will all end up inside me! LOL :o) They look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such wonderful ideas for food. I bet the kids loved making them. My idea for food this morning was M & M peanuts. They were very good too, but not very healthy.

    ReplyDelete