Thursday, March 5, 2009

6 Week Bran Muffins


I can remember my mom making these when I was young. . . mixing the batter in her big yellow Tupperware bowl.


Yesterday, I noticed a 1/2 eaten box of raisin bran cereal, dating back to '08, and remembered "the muffin recipe".

The batter keeps up to 6 weeks in the fridge! So it's simple to make a dozen for the afternoon snack.



Before you know it. . . they've disappeared!!




Mr. Camo gave them a "thumbs up". . . All THREE of them! That boy can eat!




Here's the recipe:


6 Week Bran Muffins



6 C raisin brain cereal or bran bud cereal

2 C boiling water

3 C oil (or divide 1 1/2C applesauce & 1 1/2 C oil)

1 1/2 C brown sugar

1 1/2 C organic cane sugar

(or 3 C white sugar)

4 eggs, beaten

4 C buttermilk

(I use the dry buttermilk mix that you add water to)

2 1/2 C white unbleached flour

2 1/2 C whole wheat flour

5 tsp baking soda

2 tsp salt (I eliminate)




  1. Pour boiling water over 3 C of bran cereal. Let stand while mixing other ingredients.


  2. In a separate bowl, combine rest of dry bran cereal, flour, soda, and salt.


  3. In another separate bowl, cream sugar and oil.


  4. Add eggs to this mixture.


  5. Add buttermilk alternately with dry ingredients.


  6. Add the 3 C soaked cereal and mix well. (Initially, the batter will be very runny)


  7. Store batter in fridge for up to 6 weeks.


  8. Bake in 400F oven about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!


Happy Thursday!


Heather

2 comments:

  1. So neat... I've been eying this recipe in my company's coming cookbook for the past couple of weeks, wanting to do it up for simplicities sake... now that I see it here it makes me wanna do it all the more... they look so yummy! And what a cute picture of your son! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mom used to make these, too- in her yellow bisquik mixing bowl! :) I used to love these- I must make them soon! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete