Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Strawberry Cake

Our family birthday tradition includes picking out the type of cake you’d like to make and then decorating it.

Last week H-man chose strawberry cake.

I looked on-line and found a recipe which sounded interesting.

I received such raves that I thought I’d share it with you.

My pictures are a far cry from Bakerella's but here’s a glance at the birthday cake. 

cakecollage

And here is the recipe:

STRAWBERRY JELLO CAKE

1 pkg white cake mix

1 (3oz) pkg strawberry gelatin

3 T flour

1/4 t salt

1C oil

1/2 C water

4 eggs

1 (10oz)pkg frozen strawberries

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, sift the cake mix, flour, gelatin mix and salt together.  Stir in the oil and water.  Beat well.  Add in the eggs, one at a time; mix well. 

In a medium bowl, mash up the entire bag of strawberries.  Stir half of the strawberries (5oz) into the cake batter.  Pour cake into 2-layer cake pans and bake for 30 minutes.  (I used a 9x13 and simply baked longer). Let cake cool and spread strawberry icing on top.

STRAWBERRY ICING:

1 stick butter

1 box confectioners’ sugar, sifted

Cream butter.  Gradually add in the sugar and remaining mashed strawberries.  Mix until icing is a smooth, creamy texture.

Happy Tuesday,

Heather

 

2 comments:

  1. Heather-your mom showed me your blog when they were here last winter and in going thru some things I just now found your blog e-mail. I have had so much fun looking at the entire site. I feel like I have just had the most wondeful visit with your own family and extended family. How Very Special of you to share these wonderful memories and what a gift to all.
    Have a wonderful day. You have a handsome group of boys and a true little princess! So glad you and Charley were able to sneak away for a few days.I copied a few of your recipes so will be anxious to try them. Must run.
    Hugs to all,
    Jan Boates

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to tell you that I have made the strawberry cake recipe several times especially when Craig was little. I've done the same with a white cake mix and then lemon or lime jello and decorated it with with fresh lemon / lime slices and either whipped cream or and lemon or lime sherbert and a sprig of mint.

    ReplyDelete