Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Split Pea & Potato Soup

I love soup and Split Pea is one of my all time favorites.

When I made this recipe last week I was reminded of a favorite restaurant we dined at when I was a kid.

It's called:




If you ever find yourself in Santa Barbara, California, (lucky you!) you must stop for a bowl of this famous soup they've been serving for over 75 years. Or go HERE to read all about it.

My recipe may not be as good as Andersen's but I do think it's delicious.

SPLIT PEA AND POTATO SOUP

3 T unsalted butter

1 large onion, finely chopped

4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2" rounds

2 celery stalks, cut crosswise into 1/4" pieces

1 pd. green split peas, rinsed and picked through

2 quarts chicken stock

1 bay leaf

2 pds. Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

salt & freshly ground pepper

1. Melt butter in a 6 quart pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in split peas, chicken stock, and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.

2. Add potatoes, and simmer until they are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf, and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

At 18 degrees and fresh snow on the ground, it's a good day for soup 'round here! (Bet it's a bit balmier in Santa Barbara)

I hope this Wednesday finds you in more spring-like conditions!

Heather

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! :) A similar recipe is one of our family's favorites.

    When I was a kid, we stopped at Pea Soup Andersen's in CA while traveling. I always remembered that place. A couple years ago, we were on another CA road trip, and made a point to stop again. Fun memories!

    ReplyDelete