Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Testing

Our children will not always be under our watchful eye,

or surrounded by our hugs, advice, discipline, admonition, etc.

We train, we teach, we discipline all in preparation for the

day they will be out on their own. 

It is then that they will need to “own”  and define their

faith, their self-discipline, their priorities, their morals, their

friendships. . .

test1

And they will most certainly be tested.

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”  James 1:12(NIV)

test2

“Father, thank You that You will never leave us or forsake us.  As our children face difficult situations, remind him of this truth.  Strengthen him to endure these trials so that one day he can receive the crown of life You promised to those who love You.”

test3

This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God’s commandments and remain faithful to Jesus.” Rev 14:12(NIV)

Dear God, may Your Holy Spirit encourage our children to begin building a lifestyle of patient endurance.  Instill in them willingness to obey Your commandments and always be faithful to Jesus Christ.  Deepen their trust in You their God and Savior.”

The above quotes from “While They Were Sleeping”.

sleepingThis post led me to the book, “While They Were Sleeping” by Anne Arkins and Gary Harrell. (12 character traits for moms to pray)

From the back cover. . . “It’s true-you can teach and model godly values, encourage wise choices, and set guidelines for your child.  But did you know that one of the greatest ways to nurture your child’s life is. . .by praying for him?  This book can be a valuable tool in helping you to pray specifically and systematically for your child.”

I know I need to pray more intentionally and specifically for my children.

I need to pray character into the hearts of my children.

I need to pray they will be prepared and they will know Who to turn to when the day of testing arrives.

Hope you had a good Tuesday,

Heather

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book and I loved this post! Praying scriptures for my children really helps me not to fear and to put my trust in God. I don't always remember though, so thanks so much for this wonderful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always considered it a priveledge to pray with and for our children.
    Even now our older ones still want me to say the same prayers I have said with them since they were so little they don't remember.
    We are blessed by these children and it is our duty to do all we can to help them in their goal to love and serve Our Lord.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete