Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

So yesterday I had 4 very ripe bananas in the refrigerator and the kids were hungry. . . again.

So I Google "banana bread" and find out there is a website dedicated to banana bread recipes!

You can find it at http://banana-bread.biz

So I find one which catches my eye. . .

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

PREP TIME: 20 Min
COOK TIME: 40 Min
READY IN: 1 Hr
SERVINGS: 18

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/2 cups (210g) flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
* 2 tablespoons (55g) melted butter
* 1 large egg white
* 1 large egg at room temperature
* 1 cup (250ml) banana puree made from 2 very ripe bananas
* 1/2 cup (125ml) sour cream
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/3 cup (60g) chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. Butter a 9-inch (23cm) square pan and line the bottom with a sheet of parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).

2. Sift together in a bowl the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix in the sugar.

3. In a large bowl, mix together the butter, egg white, egg, banana puree, sour cream and vanilla.

4. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients with a spatula until almost mixed. Add in the chocolate chips and stir until just combined, but don’t overstir. Stop when any traces of flour disappear.

5. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until the center feels lightly springy and just done.

6. Cool on a baking rack.

 

So I serve it to the family and everyone is pleased except. . . Mr. E!

He prefers his banana bread free of nuts and chips.

He said he's told me this several times but I continue to add chocolate chips.

Hmmm. . . I guess he's right.

I think I've had "selective hearing" on his banana bread comments cause I really like chocolate chips  in my banana bread!!

Truth be known. . .Mr. E ate every last bite and went back for seconds!

Next time I'll have to make one for him and one for me.

bananacollage

Seriously, this was a delicious recipe.

And you can decide. . . chips or no chips?

Happy Tuesday,

Heather

 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blogsite today (www.angelpope.com). I appreciated your comments and encouragement. I am really leaning towards the homeschool idea. I'm going to search around your blog to see what I can find as I am trying to research what curriculum(s) to follow. I want a faith based curriculum.

    Thanks again and nice to "virtually" meet you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your recipe yesterday, turned and saw the two black bananas on my counter and decided to give it a whirl today. Dw LOVED it.....and I did the choc chips...thought it was absolutely yummy. I added whole oats, in lieu of some of the flour...and not quite as much cinnamon cause I wasn't sure if I would like cinnamon with the bananas and chocolate....but really...it was very good. Thank you for sharing...xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linny,
    Glad you and DW enjoyed the bread. I too wondered about the cinnamon and didn't use it when I made it. Love following your life with so many blessings and seeing how you lean on Jesus through the trials.

    ReplyDelete