Thursday, April 1, 2010

Welcome April!

Not only are we welcoming a new month today but we're a bit giddy over these 70 degree temperatures.

This is unheard of in our neck of the woods.

I can remember ice fishermen still on the lakes on Mother's Day one year!

sandcollagepic

Little A has discovered the sandbox!

She spent hours out there today.

This sandbox time is serious business. 

I think I was able to have her look up at me for an obligatory smile, twice.

It was especially fun for me to see her brothers in the sandbox playing with her!

I remember a friend commenting that her daughters spent HOURS at a time in their sandbox.

I kept waiting for such an experience with the boys.

The boys had their moments in the sand but it usually lasted only till someone caught a  glimpse of a chipmunk at which time they grabbed their stick bows and arrows and took off for the woods.

Of course the warmer weather brings ticks. . .we've already snatched one off of Little A's head.

April also brings the spring basketball league which means mom makes one dinner before the game

and another after!

And look who lost his last front tooth!

htooth

We're remembering this Maundy Thursday and the upcoming celebration of Easter.

I couldn't recall what the word Maundy stood for.

This is what I found. . .

The name of the Thursday of Holy Week – Maundy – is derived from the Latin word mandatum, or command. Hence, the English word “mandate,” or commandment. The idea in “Maundy” is based on the command Jesus gave his disciples at the last evening meal of his earthly ministry, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34-35). In Latin “a new commandment  I give you” is Mandatum novum do vobis. And that is why the celebration day is called “Maundy Thursday” – or “Holy Thursday,” as it is known outside English-speaking nations. Footwashing, included in some Maundy Thursday services, is simply one illustration of how Christians are to love and humbly serve one another. 

It was a Maundy Thursday evening many years ago, after a Jews for Jesus seder dinner, that I dedicated my life to Christ. 

I'm thankful that God spoke to my heart at a young age and that He continues to speak through the joys, trials, mistakes and triumphs of my life.

Happy Thursday,

Heather

 

1 comment: