Friday, September 3, 2010

Schooltime!

This week we welcomed began a new home school year journey at Simply Grand Faith Academy.

(I've read that you should name your home school. Not sure about Simply Grand but it seems to go with the theme; the blog. . . Simply Grand Central; the cattery. . . Simply Grand Bengal Cattery)

ANYWAY, the students weren't as excited as I'd hoped but Mr. E. said my expectations were a bit too high.

We've started slowly and I've found a few holes in my curriculum ordering but I must say that it feels good to be back into the routine.  AND I can tell the kids are a year older and maybe (shhh) able to work a bit more independently.

experimentcollage

This seems to be my goal since there's only one of me around here. 

I could use another me.  A tutor, a cook, a housekeeper, a. . .

Truth be known, God takes good care of me. I have the best family, friends and neighbors AND six kids who I'm teaching to tackle more of mom's tasks!

Since my usual question to any home school mom seems to be, "What curriculum do you use?" I thought I'd share what books we'll be opening throughout the year.

Math:  ABEKA(1st, 3rd & 7th) and Teaching Textbooks(5th)

Language:  ABEKA(all)

Bible:  Alpha Omega Lifepac(5th and 7th)

Science:  ABEKA(1st, 3rd, 5th) and Apologia General Science (7th grader)

History:  ABEKA(all)

Vocabulary:  Wordly Wise (3rd, 5th & 7th)

Spelling:  Building Spelling Skills by Christian Liberty Press (3rd, 5th, 7th)

Geography:  ABEKA (all)

Reading Comprehension:  ABEKA (all)

General Reading:  Sonlight  (all)

7th grade Composition:  Write-At-Home (online assignments and writing coach)

7th grade Latin:  Z-man is on a wait-list at Veritas Press Academy for their online class.

It's always a bit "rocky" getting settled into the school year. 

We're looking forward to the long weekend.

Plans for boat and water fun may be on hold as the weather has turned windy and quite chilly on us.

We see signs of fall as the first few leaves begin turning beautiful autumn hues.

Happy Labor Day weekend!

heathersig1

1 comment:

  1. Hope your school year goes well. And btw -don't worry about having expectations that are too high ... you're in good company. :)
    Great pictures and such solid curriculum too.
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete